The Frugal Foodie

Hungry Jack Casserole

Hungry Jack Casserole via (& photo via)
This is my mother's trademark casserole.  I don't even know if she would say that, but it is what I remember our family always requesting.  "Hungry Jack" was a brand of baked beans that I'm not sure you can even buy anymore, but that is how the casserole got its name.

This blend of baked beans, ground beef, & BBQ sauce was put in my mother's round skillet and topped with canned biscuits and shredded cheddar.  It is a science and an art getting the biscuits to bake all the way through without burning the tops of them in this casserole.

This is about as manly as a casserole gets, in my opinion.  Maybe growing up on all that BBQ sauce is what brought me to Memphis to put down roots...

No comments:

Post a Comment